Tuesday 16 June 2015

Work in progress – Soerabaja Harbour

I’m way behind in blog-posts and I’ve got two Pulp Alley after action reports half done and also some minis painted. Just need some time to write. They’ll come soon.
I the club we’ve started playing the Perilous Island campaign for Pulp Alley and the first game is done, a romp in Mexico. It’s one of the not-finished AARs and it is coming soon.
Next adventure will be an airport-based one in Morocco, and everything for that is more or less done. Next after that will be in a storage facility in Athens (I guess we will change that to Istanbul) – and most figures and terrain for that is done or in the planning stage.
The fourth adventure is set in the harbour of the Indonesian (actually Dutch East Indian) town of Soerabaja and you’ve seen some of the boats and ships I’ve made for that. In a fit of madness I volunteered to make the harbour… and now I’ve started.
I make it from pink polystyrene foam and it’s the first time I’ve worked with that material. So far it’s worked just like I wanted. A couple of pics to show you the progress so far.
'Writing' the stonework with a ballpoint pen.
I use my hand-picked Useful Stone to press stone structure into the polystyrene
Lots of stonework....
It is starting to look like flagstones
A bridge from Sarissa
The layout
Paint added to one piece. The bridge - I'll have to get matching stonework for that one. I'll make it from green stuff and pink polystyrene foam.

26 comments:

  1. That´s an excellent result..the use of a Stone to imprint a pattern is very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick with the stone is stolen from somewhere :-)

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm going to steal it afresh!

      Delete
    3. That's good! Feel free to steal good ideas!

      Delete
  2. Lovely piece! And I'm looking forward to all these Pulp Alley AARs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The AARs will be written... eventually :-)

      Delete
  3. Great work! looking forward to see more..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work! Your skill base is growing all the time. Now, can I have a few square blocks of Hanoi, 1946 vintage, please. With a few ruined versions of the houses as there will be naval shelling involved? By Easter? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could discuss that. If you're kind.... and let me win a game or two ;-)

      Delete
    2. Victory conditions can certainly be negotiated to a mutual understanding...

      Delete
    3. I'm dreaming Dust-dreams. City-blocks... the base-board could see use in Hanoi. Same time-period. Modular houses/ruins to fit the roads...

      Delete
    4. You guys are crazy. But I like it ;)

      Delete
  5. That's great bit of work, all your afford will be well worth it when playing out the game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great bit of work, all your afford will be well worth it when playing out the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sure hope so :-)
      I've wanted to make a harbour for a long time, and this was a good time. It will certainly more action than just this one scenario.

      Delete
  7. Nice work, & the hand-picked useful stone really rocks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Hand-picked Useful Stone"? Clearly a man of discrimination and taste in the tools of trade department; it's great when found objects can be pressed into service.

    And that bridge is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the stone in my garden. Have to have the right surface to work well
      The Sarissa bridge is indeed excellent. More on that in a later post

      Delete
  9. Very nice, that harbour! Could be used for Dieppe, D-Dayetc...

    Where did you get the pink foam? Could be useful for other projects as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That harbour will see more action!
      I bought two 90 cm x120 cm (2'x3') sheets from Hornbach. I still got more than a sheet left, if you need some.

      Delete
    2. Duh, should be 3'x4'... damn, couldn't you guys just go metric...

      Delete
  10. You're making us all look bad with your superior skills; step it down a notch.

    This is going to look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is looking rather good now, see the finished product (and other stuff for the harbour) here
      http://miniatyrmannen.blogspot.se/search/label/28mm%20Harbour
      At the moment I'm working on an extension for the harbour. It's going to be huge
      Welcome as a follower!

      Delete